Review | Everything, Everything - Nicola Yoon




Title: Everything, Everything

Author: Nicola Yoon
Summary: The girl who lived in a bubble and the boy next door. 

Madeline Whittier is allergic to the outside world. So allergic, in fact, that she has never left the house in all of her seventeen years. But when Olly moves in next door, and wants to talk to Maddy, tiny holes start to appear in the protective bubble her mother has built around her. Olly writes his IM address on a piece of paper, shows it at her window, and suddenly, a door opens. But does Maddy dare to step outside her comfort zone? Everything, Everything is the perfect summer read - an inspirational story about the thrill and heartbreak that ensues when we break out of our shell to do crazy, sometimes death-defying things for love.

When I first bought this book I was a little dubious as to whether I'd like it never mind love it due to its format, and use of illustrations. But in all honestly, I was completely blown away. I instantly fell in love with the particular format of the novel too, with the inclusion of IM exerts, emails, doctors notes and observations charts making the novel much more fun to read. I also felt that it helped me to connect with the characters, as it made the readers much more a part of the story than some other YA literature does. 

I went into this story blind having read nothing about the story other than the blurb. I avoided all spoilers, reviews and discussions before reading it. And it can safe to say that I am glad that I did, I found myself unable to put the book down - to me, the story line was not in any way predicable meaning that any little plot twist was unexpected and because I had completely avoided the spoilers, the novel itself was new to me.

The characters themselves were lovable too, with the mysteriousness of Oliver Bright being something that kept me captivated. I also felt what the characters felt, and believed fully, wanting nothing but good to come to them. Willing them on from the start. But now that I have finished the novel I really need a story from the view of Oliver Bright and his family, I want to know more about his back story and what his family have gone through, including his father. His sister - although not particularly a critical part of Everything, Everything - is also another character I would love to hear more about. Why is she so mysterious and dark?

I honestly recommend this book with my whole heart, and I would even go as far as saying that Everything, Everything is in my top ten books, ever. I just loved it. Now I am off to go find my next novel, however I need something to top Everything, Everything so if you have any recommendations then leave a comment below and I shall check them out.

                                               Bye for now my little pumpkins




No comments