Blogmas Day 14 | Quick and Easy Mulled Wine



I just love the taste of warm mulled wine on a cold, and crisp evening don't you? But do you ever feel that shop bought mulled wine just isn't as good as the homemade stuff? Or the stuff you can pick up in a cardboard cup at your local Christmas market, well you're not alone. I felt exactly the same. So when I stumbled across Schwartz Mulled Wine Spice kit in my local Tescos, I just had to try giving it a go.

To make one, 1 ltr bottle of mulled wine you will need:

  • 1 box of Schwartz Mulled Wine Spice (each box contains 6 sachets)
  • 1 bottle of red wine
  • 4 table spoons of brown sugar
  • 200ml water
  • A serving bottle 
To make your mulled wine:
  1. Pour the contents of a bottle of red wine, the 200mls of water, the 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 of the sachets from the box of Schwarts Mulled Wine Spice into a sauce pan.
  2. Heat to just below boiling point and let simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Once the 10 minutes are up give the mulled wine a try. Sometimes I choose to leave my pan on the heat for a little longer, or alternatively I turn off the heat and leave the sachets in the pan while the contents cools down just to enhance the flavour.
  4. Serve warm with a slice of orange, perfect.
But there you have it. Quick, and easy mulled wine. If you wish to make non-alcoholic mulled wine then simply replace the red wine with 1 ltr of cranberry juice which acts as a great alternative.

For my serving bottles I chose to use the 0.5 ltr glass bottles that I used for my peppermint vodka - a post about that can be found here - but i've known people to make a large amount of mulled wine and store it in empty pop bottles. I have used these bottles I have a few spare, and they make perfect little extra Christmas gifts.

I created little labels to attach to each bottle so that I knew which was the alcoholic mulled wine, and which was the non-alcoholic one. And they just look adorable, don't you think?

Later this week I am going to try and make mulled cider using the Schwarts Mulled Cider sachets. 

Well, let me know in the comments below if you have used these sachets before, and what you thought of them. I would love to hear you thoughts.

                                                        bye for now my little pumpkins 

No comments